Our three men and our little lady....

Our three men and our little lady....
Our three men and our little lady.... M(13), J(10), D(8) & G(6)

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Quick Hershey Kiss Fudge

My children just love fudge; however, mommy doesn't like to pay for fudge! I've been suckered into buying the precious chunks at prices ranging from $6 to $15 a pound! Ouch!

Here is our version....Cost was only $5 for just over 2lbs!

Step 1: Gather ingredients. You will need a small pan and a bowl to make the fudge. You will also need 1 14oz. can of Sweetened Condensed Milk and  2 packages of Hershey Kisses. The bags should be around 10oz. each. We used "Cookies & Cream" Kisses this time but you can use different kinds. We have tried this fudge made with Hugs Kisses, Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Candy Cane Kisses, Mint Truffle Kisses and Kisses with Caramel. We have also used plain kisses and added mini marshmallows and crushed graham crackers to make Smore's Fudge. Talk about YUM!


Step 2: Have the children unwrap the Kisses. Kisses go in the bowl and wrappers are put aside for the garbage. My rule is if there are wrappers all over the table and floor you will loose your chance at eating fudge later. My sneaky way to keep the kitchen neat...for now they still believe me! Make sure no one eats any of the candy! If too much is eaten the fudge will not be thick enough to set properly. So as a treat, everyone gets to eat the last Kiss they unwrap only. And as tradition goes...first I kiss my child on their forehead and THEN they get to eat their Kiss!



Step 3: Pour the Sweetened Condensed Milk in the bowl over the unwrapped Kisses. Pop it in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Take it out and have a child mix it with a spatula. Pop it back in and do the process all over again. Keep doing this until the milk and the Kisses are blended together really well. Luckily this takes 2 minutes for me... so each of my children gets one turn to stir!

Step 4: When its ready lightly spray the pan with cooking spray and then pour the mixture into the pan. Spraying the pan is usually an adult job. I let my 13 year old do it tonight and if you look closely at the picture you can see he clearly sprayed too much but no worries. Place the pan in the refrigerator to set. This process usually takes about 3 hours. The longer it chills the harder it gets. Try to wait as long as you can because the thicker the better!


Step 5: When its all set just flip it out onto a cutting board and use a large knife to cut it into SMALL chunks. Just like real fudge, our Kiss Fudge is very rich and you only need a small piece to satisfy your fudge craving. (Not that your children will share this logic...mine don't!)

Step 6: Sit back and watch your childrens' eyes light up and their mouth smile wide as they get to taste their first piece of fudge! Keep uneaten fudge in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Not sure how long this will keep as we usually eat it within a few days! This is a really easy way to make delicious fudge. The whole process takes only 5 minutes or so to prepare and then the setting time. This is a quick and fun project that can make any day more fun! The best part is making the memories of special times in the kitchen with siblings and mom!

1 comment:

  1. I just tried this out yesterday(Christmas morning) and apparently I guess I must've nibbled on a few more kisses than I realized or something...basically my fudge didn't quite set...it almost did but its like 2-3 kisses shy of what was probably needed to set properly...it doesn't bother me one bit...I'll still eat it the way it is but I was wondering if maybe you had any ideas of what else i could possibly do with the failed fudge or maybe even a possible fix for it...could I throw the failed fudge back in the double boiler & add in a few marshmallows to maybe thicken it up just a bit???...

    ReplyDelete